[Openmcl-devel] Darwin and shared libraries

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Apr 2 06:17:58 PST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, John DeSoi wrote:

> Alex,
>
> >As an aside, how many people actually read this?

At last count, there were about 2 dozen subscribers to openmcl-devel.

> No idea. I just started looking into OpenMCL a few days ago.
>

> >ffigen is a good start, but what I really want is to be able to
> >build atomic package
> >interfaces so that a developer can say (use-foreign-interface "X11") and get
> >everything in one shot. At a minimum that means:
> >
> >   importing all the functions and symbols from libX11
> >   importing all the type definitions from X11.h and friends
> >
> >and in a more perfect world, we would get a set of wrappers so that
> >"standard" lisp
> >types would get translated into the appropriate C typed objects
> >without requiring
> >the developer to explicitly cast everything.
>

> Sounds very cool. Especially to some one who just finished writing
> 140 foreign function definitions.
>

> >I'd really like to get a gcc based ffigen for Darwin - I'll be happy
> >to write it if necessary
> >but I'd rather play with MCL internals then GCC internals (been
> >there, done that).
> >Does it exist?

Yes, it exists (its where the interfaces for 0.10.1 came from.)
In order to release it (and comply with the GPL, which covers GCC) I
have to release the source (at least diffs to Apple's GCC sources.)
That's no more than a few hours work.  Unfortunately, between moving
and changing jobs and being off the net and due to some unexpected
legal confusion I haven't been able to do that (for a few months now.)

Resolving the legal confusion is the last remaining issue, and I
(obviously) hope that that'll happen soon.

> The only .h file parser I know about is here:
>
> http://www.bricoworks.com/~moore/cparse/

See also:

<http://openmcl.clozure.com/Doc/interface-translation.html>

>  From the interface files that come with the commercial MCL, I can
> tell they have a pretty nice tool that creates the files. I asked

> about it on the list a while back but did not get any responses.

Having used both, I find that the C frontend does a much better job
of parsing C than MCL's interface translator does of parsing Pascal.