[Openmcl-devel] Is OpenMCL ready for use?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Dec 16 07:51:52 PST 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Stonewall Ballard wrote:

> On 12/16/02 12:12 AM, "Gary Byers" <gb at clozure.com> wrote:

> > As I started to work on it, it became clear that there wasn't anything
> > incremental about the process: the hard parts involved (to strain the
> > analogy) the things that needed to happen right after the Big Bang:
> > the GC needs to be different in a preemptively scheduled world,
> > consing needs to be different, resource-contention problems need to be
> > dealt with differently, the FFI has to change ...
>
> Will this break code written to the current version?

It won't be possible to maintain binary compatibility.

There will be changes to the multiprocessing API.  In some cases
the changes will by minor and will only involve syntax; in other
cases, the changes are semantic: WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS will mean something
different from what it means in a cooperative scheduler, PROCESS-WAIT
will continue to exist, but won't be a very efficient way to wait for
something to happen.

I'll try to document these changes before 0.14 is released, and I'll
try to provide support for 0.13.x for a while after 0.14 is out.

> Thanks for your response. I'd love to hear from others too. How many people
> are on this list?

As of a little while ago : 57.  That sounds like a small number (and is,
of course), but it's up substantially from the last time I checked.