[Openmcl-devel] openGL

Hamilton Link helink at sandia.gov
Tue Dec 17 10:04:41 PST 2002

I think there are a couple of opengl examples using openmcl under
linuxppc (make that one, I guess) made by me, but it's been a while
since I tested it. Also I was using glut and that caused some problems
(glut DEMANDS that it be the event handler, and there is no API for
managing the event loop and passing it events manually as there is in
other GUI APIs) but it was straightforward to convert my existing C++
glut example program over to lisp. I'd say the main difficulty was
making sure the C foreign data was properly formed when converting back
and forth.

I never got around to trying to use the cocoa openglview (or whatever
it's called) but the cocoa-inspector is I think a pretty decent cut at
building a self-contained nib-based ObjC demo. I suspect the two
concepts could be fused by someone who...

a) was reasonably determined
b) had a pretty good idea of what they wanted (the turn-around time for
changes gets a little bigger when you're modifying the nib files and
ObjC class defns)
c) had access to reasonably good opengl and cocoa API documentation

Let me think about it, and I'll post another email to the list (and to
you) shortly -- I made some notes about how I might go about creating
another objc gui using lisp, and I think I had some opinions about how
to use the objc openglview or whatever it was called to do something.
This might be of use to you.

Over all I'd guess that the objective c approach should be easier than
the straight C approach, because you *shouldn't* have to worry as much
about converting data between formats. Whether this guess pans out or
not is anyone's guess.

re: your other problem. Requiring cocoa-inspector, or cocoa by itself
(cocoa-inspector requires cocoa if it's not already there) works fine
for me under Jaguar (10.2.2) with openmcl 0.13.2, with the latest CVS
stuff. If you still have the problem (under any version of OS X) after
you're using the patched sources (if you're planning to do objc
interface stuff I hope going through the build process isn't a big
problem), do a verbose backtrace "(:b t)" and post it back to the list.

ttyl,
hamilton