[Openmcl-devel] Emacs for Mac OS X

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Feb 24 06:32:27 PST 2002

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Rainer Joswig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using ILisp with Emacs and OpenMCL.
>
> I recently came across this GUI-based Emacs 21.1 running on OS X.
>
> http://mac-emacs.sourceforge.net/
>
> Any other useful options?

I know of:

a) Apple's TTY-based Emacs port.  (I guess that "useful" is in the
eye of the beholder.)

b) Andrew Choi's port (that you reference above).
Andrew Choi notes in his release notes that there seem to be problems
accessing environment variables when this Emacs is started from the
Finder; this may mean that Emacs's "exac-path" variable isn't properly
initialized (and may not include the directory containing the openmcl
shell script.)  It may be necessary to manually initialize "exec-path"
(e.g., in your .emacs file) in order for things like ILISP to work.
This is based on FSF Emacs 21.7.

c) An attempt to revive an old NextStep Emacs port (see:
<http://sourceforge.net/projecs/emacs-on-aqua>).  This is based on
FSF Emacs 20.x.

d) XWindows ports of FSF Emacs and XEmacs are included in many
"opensource tools for Darwin/OSX" packages (e.g., fink.sourceforge.net,
osxgnu.org, gnu-darwin.org.)  Obviously, these require X libraries
to be installed on your OSX machine and an X server to be installed
somewhere (most likely also on your OSX machine ...)

I've used ILISP with (a), (c), and both Emacs XWindows flavors.  Someone
reported difficulty with (b); after isolating the "exec-path" problem,
they were able to get it working.