[Openmcl-devel] sockets and compatibility

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Jun 30 18:21:59 PDT 2002

At first glance, I'm inclined to do something like:

(defpackage "SOCKET"
  (:use "CL")
  (:nicknames "OPENMCL-SOCKET" "TBD")  ; or something
  (:import-from "CCL" "MAKE-SOCKET" ...)
  (:export "MAKE-SOCKET" ...))

e.g., leave the symbols in question exported from the CCL package,
but export them from a SOCKET package as well.

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, John Wiseman wrote:

> Hello.  I was just wondering whether, since openMCL's socket API is
> not compatible with MCL's TCP/IP interface, but is based on ACL's
> socket API, whether perhaps it could even be moved to a new SOCKET
> package (which is what ACL uses) for even greater cross-lisp
> compatibility.
>
> (Actually ACL uses the package ACL-SOCKET, with nickname SOCKET. So
> Maybe OpenMCL could have MCL-SOCKET, etc.)
>
> I realize there is a long tradition of all the "extra stuff" in the
> MCL family being in the CCL package (the name itself pretty much gives
> away the "long tradition" part), but if it were moved to SOCKET
> instead it would make it vastly easier to write code that would work
> in multiple lisps.  No read-time conditionals required.

I think that I've seen some ACL code that uses SOCKET-package things
that aren't in OpenMCL, and there may be socket-related things in
OpenMCL that aren't in ACL.  That said, I think that your suggestion
would mean "no read-time conditionals required" for most programs,
and that seems like a good thing.

> John

Gary Byers
gb at clozure.com