[Openmcl-devel] CPU Usage

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri Sep 6 02:32:47 PDT 2002

Thanks for the knowledgeable response, very interesting indeed. Top and
CPU Monitor seem to have a life of their own sometimes, and can be hard
to interpret. The behavior that I described is real however (I got it
again today) and although it comes back to normal, fact is that most
other applications don't do this.

BTW, by 'application server' I mean long running server side processes
like portable aserve and others like that (Java 2 Enterprise Edition
things). I think Lisp could have a niche there (see also Paul Graham's
articles). In those case both good memory usage (no leaks, stable heap
sizes) and good cpu citizenship (no loose threads) are important.

Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:sven at beta9.be