[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL future

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Wed Sep 11 02:07:38 PDT 2002

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 02:34 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> These are things that I have in mind; I'd certainly be interested
> in hearing other people's ideas.

For starters, I think OpenMCL is a remarkable, high-quality CL
implementation (you wouldn't expect this from a young, open source
effort that is so low key; but you understand the reasons why if you
know where it came from).

What I think is most important is to keep OpenMCL lean and mean: a
small footprint, high-quality, reliable and standard compliant common
lisp implementation. At this level what is needed above plain ANSI CL
are modern things like processes/threads, sockets, FFI, dynamic library
support. OpenMCL should be a good OS citizen.

To make OpenMCL more accessible and usable much more is needed, but
with a good base to start from, anything is possible. Lot's of freeware
CL stuff already works fine, out-of-the-box on OpenMCL (ILISP,
portableaserver, CLX, CLOCC, PostgreSQL interface,...). GUI toolkits
(CLX, Cocoa, Carbon) are all welcome and can form the basis for all
kinds of IDE's. However, as is clear from MCL or ACL, GUI toolkits and
IDE's are lots of works, needs massive support and documentation.

All this extra stuff is important, but never as important as the base
system.

In general, I think the future of Lisp is not to replace Java or Basic
or whatever is popular to write GUI's in the broad market, but to do
the hard work behind the scenes (server code).

Knowing the basics of Cocoa, Objective-C, Project and Interface Builder
myself, I think the Cocoa experiments are very interesting and should
continue ;-)

Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:sven at beta9.be
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
.Mac - svc at mac.com - http://homepage.mac.com/svc