[Openmcl-devel] Need advice on porting an application from LW

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Wed Sep 11 12:28:59 PDT 2002

Hi

I have LW application which communicates with a Java program over a
socket.  The CL code acts as the "server".

I need to port this application to OS X.

Note that the LW application makes use the MP package and of the COMM
package (which seems to me to be at a higher level of abstraction than
the OpenMCL socket library).

Given that I do not have much experience with network programming, I
need some advice about how to go ahead and do this in OpenMCL.

The main code I have looks like the following (in LW).

(defun accept-client-connection (socket-handle)
  (let ((socket-stream (make-instance 'comm:socket-stream
                                      :socket socket-handle
                                      :direction :io
                                      :element-type 'base-char
                                      ))
        )
    (setf *sc-visualization-display-socket* socket-stream)
    (setf *sc-visualization-server-process*
          (mp:process-run-function (format nil "Visualization Server Handler ~D"
                                           socket-handle)
                                   '()
                                   #'visualization-handle-client-request
                                   socket-stream
                                   ))
    ))

(defun start-visualization ()
    ;; Set up the server.

    (comm:start-up-server :function 'accept-client-connection
                          :service *sc-visualization-display-port*
                          :process-name "Visualization Display Server 9876")

    (setf *sc-visualization-display-server*
          (mp:find-process-from-name "Visualization Display Server 9876"))

    )

The function VISUALIZATION-HANDLE-CLIENT-REQUEST simply implements a
loop that reads from the socket.

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions.  I know the OpenMCL code is
probably going to be more complex.

Thanks

--
715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"