[Openmcl-devel] Re: Standardization, ho!

John DeSoi desoi at mac.com
Wed Sep 11 16:39:46 PDT 2002

At 5:17 PM -0600 9/11/02, Hamilton Link wrote:
>Fwiw, I'm the aforementioned colleague. Personally I think it would be
>good for not only the open-source lisps to have a set of common APIs for
>certain things, but for lisp in general to be able to say we have
>standard libraries for XYZ commonly needed modern functionality.

Yes, excellent. And I think one of the key starting points is a
standardized FFI. A lot of great libraries already exist (SSL, Expat,
etc.) but each Lisp implementation has to start from scratch to use
them. UFFI (http://uffi.med-info.com/) seems to fit the bill and
already supports quite a few implementations (ACL, CMU, LispWorks,
MCL). I'm just about finished with the first shot at OpenMCL. I hope
to spend some time with OpenMCL's header parser and see if I can
adapt it to spit out UFFI declarations.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.