[Openmcl-devel] some threads documentation, finally

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Apr 15 12:14:08 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Ram Krishnan wrote:

> Any chance of pushing some of this documentation back as doc-strings? I
> noticed the code itself doesn't have doc-strings but perhaps we can
> load the doc-strings and associate them to the function/special
> variable symbols at startup?

The document sources are now in LyX (www.lyx.org) format, using LyX's
"DocBook article (SGML)" style.  LyX can export SGML, and there are
lots of tools for converting from DocBook SGML to other formats (HTML,
PDF, GNU texinfo, ...).

There might be some way (people who actually understand this stuff might
know ...) of using existing tools to translate the SGML into something like:

(function process-run-function "doc-string-for-process-run-function")
(variable *current-process* "doc-string-for-*current-process*")

Since the SGML files seem to be structured fairly sanely, it may not
be too hard to just write a lisp parser that extracts the doc strings.

I know that LyX is available for OSX as part of Fink; I never had much
luck getting its DocBook support to work there (but admit to not having
tried too hard.)  If anyone's interested in pursuing this and can't
produce SGML from the .lyx files (which are now in "Pre_0_14" CVS), please
let me know and I'll make the .sgml files available.