[Openmcl-devel] Re: Standalone binaries

Hamilton Link helink at sandia.gov
Fri Apr 18 11:28:24 PDT 2003

With respect to the need to purchase a copy of whichever lisp system
the app is created with, that depends... in the case of Allegro (from
Franz, Inc.), if you pay for a suitable "Professional" license of
Allegro you can I think (check their actual license) distribute a
stripped-down version of their kernel along with your application that
doesn't have the compiler, doesn't have Franz's development
environment, and doesn't require the recipient of your application to
purchase anything from Franz. If you want to include the compiler etc,
your customers still don't have to buy anything from Franz, but *you*
have to pay Franz a royalty for every copy you distribute (whether
you're making a profit or not, IIRC, but again check their actual
terms, I'm not representing Franz).

With Harlequin's Lispworks (or whoever is selling it today?), the
licensing scheme is similar, I think. Your customers don't have to pay
for Lispworks, but depending on what your distributing you have to pay
royalties back to the vendor.

Bottom line, if you can develop your app in a free lisp, do so. If you
can't, don't use the compiler in your app, just use it to build your
app. If you can't do *that*, expect on turning enough of a profit to
support the vendor as well.