[Openmcl-devel] Re: New OpenMCL 0.14 binaries (not visually compelling ...)

Eric Marsden emarsden at laas.fr
Fri Aug 8 09:23:39 PDT 2003

>>>>> "gb" == Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> writes:

  gb> There were some substantial changes to some parts of the
  gb> process/thread API; these are documented in greater detail in
  gb> "ccl:doc;HTML;threads.html". Code that tries to maintain "thread
  gb> pools" via PROCESS-RESET/PROCESS-PRESET/ PROCESS-ENABLE should
  gb> now work much more reliably; since it wasn't at all reliable in
  gb> previous 0.14 releases, any improvement would be much more
  gb> reliable.

so it's more reliable, but I'm afraid that it still crashes when
two threads are compiling simultaneously. It breaks to the low-level
debugger, and attempting to obtain a backtrace makes it abort (same
behaviour on LinuxPPC and Darwin).

The easiest way to reproduce this is to download the most recent
cl-bench from <http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/>. This attempts
to use a thread pool to compile the microbenchmarks concurrently.

   bash run-openmcl.sh

Please note that I don't have any urgent need for concurrent
compilation from multiple threads; I am just submitting this as a
stress test of the native threads.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
On vacation until 2003-08-24