[Openmcl-devel] Re: problem building bosco on 0.14-031220

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Dec 22 07:20:17 PST 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2003, at 9:35 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
> > Mikel Evins has been working on a different approach to Cocoa
> > application development: in his "Bosco" system (see http://evins.net)
> > he creates a skeletal bundle, copies a Cocoa-aware lisp image into
> > that bundle, then incrementally turns the prototype application into
> > something ... less prototypical.  There may be some tradeoffs
> > involved, but his approach certainly avoids the "pretend I'm over here"
> > *DEFAULT-BUNDLE-EXECUTABLE-PATH* nonsense ...
>
> I'm not sure if this is something that you, Gary, or Mikel would be
> best equipped to deal with, but I've run into the following error when
> trying to build bosco under OpenMCL version 0.14-031220:
>
> raffaelc$ openmcl -l bosco.asd -e "(make)"
>  > Error in process listener(1): value #:BOSCO is not of the expected
> type STRING.
>  > While executing: CCL::%SHARED-INITIALIZE
>  > Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
> 1 >

This was a minor but long-standing bug in asdf: a slot in an asdf class
is declared to have a :TYPE of STRING, but the DEFSYSTEM macro (and most
uses of it) initialize this slot to a SYMBOL.  OpenMCL 0.14-031220 seems
to be the first CL implementation that bothers to check this sort of
thing.

A new version of asdf was released a few days ago.