[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa

Timothy Moore moore at bricoworks.com
Wed Feb 5 00:09:48 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 07:40  PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> CLIM is a very interesting possibility.  I'd certainly like to see
> a Cocoa backend for McCLIM (http://mcclim.cliki.net).  Tim Moore
> and I bounced a few ideas back and forth a month or so ago; we should
> probably revive that process and try to involve anyone else who might
> be interested.  (McCLIM -does- run in OpenMCL, but uses CLX to talk
> to an X Window server.)

Yeah, we decided that McCLIM needed to revisit its assumptions about
what thread handles events for gadgets.  I commited to change McCLIM --
even in the CLX port -- to deliver gadget events in the thread that
communicates with the window server, but I haven't gotten around to
doing that yet.

> I'm sure that CLIM would be very interesting to some people and almost
> totally uninteresting to others.  A lighter weight middle layer might
> be more interesting to people who don't want/need all that CLIM
> provides
> (and might incidentally make developing the McCLIM backend a bit
> easier.)
Especially if you solve all the hard threading issues in the middle
layer :)

I think CLIM is pretty cool and I'd like McCLIM to have a pretty Cocoa
back end, but it's probably not the best or most flexible way to do
Cocoa programming in Lisp.

Tim