[Openmcl-devel] Faceless Background Server Behavior

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Thu Jan 9 01:09:35 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 08:46 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> I think that there's probably a bug if the listener process is actually
> trying to read from a (detached) tty; I'll try to look into that.

OK

> I think that what we'd want here is an easier way to say "don't
> create/enter
> a read-eval-print loop", since the best we could hope for if a r-e-p-l
> was
> entered is to see a prompt and have it wait infinitely.
>
> A faceless background process should probably also either allow itself
> to be
> terminated by SIGINT or ignore it completely.  (Entering a break loop
> is
> probably pretty low on the list of things it should do, and I have a
> hunch
> that
>
> [gb at dervish] kill -INT 10898
>
> would be fun to watch, at least the first time.)
>
> Perhaps invoking 'openmcl --server ...' should do some/all of these
> things
> for you ?

It is indeed much more logical NOT to enter a REPL when starting a
faceless background server (as I already found out myself). But other
server software like portable allegro server' start function also
spawns a new process - so it would run in the same problem when used
the same way.

BTW, save-application is not really documented I think: it is a very
usefull feature, but older mcl documentation probably won't help much
since this is a quite implementation specific feature ?

I once read on Franz' site that they can have a remote REPL to monitor,
debug and upgrade running servers - I think that is VERY cool and will
try to do something like that openmcl.

Sven

Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:sven at beta9.be
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be