[Openmcl-devel] Printing/Reading floats

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Mar 18 15:56:37 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I updated to the latest CVS version of 0.13.4, rebuild the image and
> this now works. Thanks!
>
> Many commercial Lisp systems (LispWorks, Allegro) have an elaborate
> patch system, probably with a patch level variable somewhere to keep
> track of what you did to your image. Would it be a lot of work to build
> something like that for OpenMCL so that users could apply useful
> patches inbetween versions,
>
> ? ccl::*patch-level*
>
> 45
>
> ? (ccl::load-latest-patches :proxy "fdfhkd")
> ; OpenMCL 0.13.4 updated to patch level 47
>
> ? (ccl::save-application "shfjk")
>
> Maybe this would be too much work for you to manage though ...

As we've seen, typing a decimal point instead of a comma is sometimes
too much for me to manage ...

The patch system idea certainly seems worth pursuing.

A few other ideas:

 - there's a mailing list that receives mail whenever anything gets
   modified in CVS; you can subscribe/unsubscribe/view archives at:

   I actually subscribe to this (in digest form) ; there's no reason
   for it to be or have been a secret.

   Incidentally, I have a reasonably secure way of offering CVS write access
   (or SSH-based CVS read access to people behind firewalls or otherwise
   unable to use the :pserver cvs access method).

   I agree that it's not always convenient or wise to track bleeding-edge
   CVS releases.

 - some more regular but less formal release process.

   It takes a minute or two to create a tar archive and copy it to
   an FTP server; it sometimes takes many hours (even a few days) to
   write release notes, update documentation, and package even something
   even as informal as an OpenMCL release.  (Honest.)

   If "interim" binaries were made available in cases like this, that
   might serve more people's needs.