[Openmcl-devel] Reducing interpreter output (to verbose)

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri May 2 08:44:18 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Frank Sonnemans wrote:

> Is there any way in openmcl to reduce the amount of data printed. I am
> calling some functions from the read-eval loop, which return a large list of
> structures. Currently openmcl prints the entire list, which takes very long
> when working with emacs and ilisp.
>
> I believe that ACL would only print the first couple of elements of such a
> list to avoid this problem. Question is how to emulate that feature in
> openmcl.

One can control this in any CL implementation via the variables *PRINT-LEVEL*,
*PRINT-LENGTH*, etc.  The standard specifies that the initial value of these
variables is NIL; I have mixed feelings (not too strong either way) as to
whether the repl should establish its own bindings of standard printer
control variables.  In OpenMCL, entering a break loop does something like
(WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX-PLUS-A-FEW-SPECIAL-CASES ...), but you can do:

? (setq *print-length* 5)
5
? (produce-very-long-list)
(FIRST FIVE ELEMENTS OF A ...)

If the REPL was binding *PRINT-LENGTH* (to something like
CCL:*LISTENER-PRINT-LENGTH*) for you, then you could achieve the same
effect by setting that other variable at the appropriate time.  In that
case, you might see something like:

? (setq ccl:*listener-print-length* 5)
5
? (print (produce-very-long-list))
(FIRST FIVE ELEMENTS OF A LIST THAT\'S SO LONG THAT I DON\'T FEEL LIKE TYPING THE WHOLE THING)
(FIRST FIVE ELEMENTS OF A ...)

or you might see other behavior, depending on when that binding took place.

It's clear that the user should have control over this, since any
inappropriate printing behavior should be the user's fault.