[Openmcl-devel] Re: Using Cocoa with MCL

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri May 9 05:26:52 PDT 2003

"Hamilton Link" <helink at sandia.gov> writes:

> One more thing -- it would be nice to be able to use the Interface
> Builder. If we do build a super-fancy wrapper around all of Cocoa,
> it would be nice to get Interface Builder to automagically generate
> a portion of the necessary lisp code based on me (or whoever)
> claiming to make subclasses and Outlets, etc.

It certainly should be possible to use interface builder -- the Python
wrapper PyObjC does this.  Python's probably much closer to
Objective-C in the programming language spectrum, but that shouldn't
matter for this.

PyObjC's generator doesn't run from inside IB, though.

> Also I am under the impression that it's possible to define new
> custom widgets under Cocoa that do various fancy things, like radio
> dials or whatever. Being able to dynamically pull in such a library
> (defining a new widget class) and build the lisp wrapper code for
> them would be good, if we don't get it for free, which we might if
> we do this properly.

Again, PyObjC's experience suggests this is possible, mostly.  I think
you need to specify whether pointer args are input or output, stuff
like that.

I don't know how PyObjC does these things, this is just meant to be
encouragement :-)

Cheers,
M.

--
    FORD:  Just pust the fish in your ear, come on, it's only a
           little one.