[Openmcl-devel] Extracting doc strings from slots

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue May 13 17:00:47 PDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to write a tool that could autogenerate documentation for
> symbols exported from a package. For each symbol I try to find the
> standard common lisp documentation. For a class (and hopefully also for
> structures) I would like to find back the slot documentation. Given a
> class like the one below, I would like to get the list of slots, and
> for each slot (probably through its meta object), I want to retrieve
> the documentation (that I then would want to map to the
> reader/writer/accessor function).
>
> Is that possible in OpenMCL ? I know that the MOP is not complete, but
> maybe this information can be found somewhere nonetheless ?

I may be misreading the code, but it seems that the last time
that slot doc string are seen is during the macroexpansion of
DEFCLASS.  DEFCLASS - after checking to ensure that no
slot has more than one :DOCUMENTATION form - completely ignores
slot documentation strings.

It may be the case that this was deliberate (if there was no
documented way to get at them in CL, why should the implementation
retain them ?)  It may seem hard to understand these days, but
finding ways to save 50 bytes here and 100 there seemed like a
clever thing to do 15 or so years ago.