[Openmcl-devel] Identity Hashtables

Sven Van Caekenberghe svc at mac.com
Wed Oct 1 07:54:10 PDT 2003

I have a performance problem which I think is related to Identity
Hashtables (a hashtable where the keys are plain objects like CLOS
instances, conses, as well as strings, just anything), and I am looking
for a way to speed things up or for an alternative solution.

The code in question serializes any object structure to XML. While
doing this, the code keeps a hashtable (currently (make-hash-table
:test 'eql)) containing every object it has encountered (mapping it to
its id), so that it can properly handle shared and/or circular
references (by refering to the known id).

When serializing object structures containing thousands of objects
(which is not that big) the code becomes so slow that it cannot
complete (it is still writing XML, but very slowly). I suspect that
using the hashtable becomes exponentially slower because (1) the
hashtable keeps growing and everytime it grows it needs to rehash (2)
the whole process consumes a lot of memory so that GC kicks in a lot,
which, IIRC from a post by Gary somewhere, results in all hashtables
being rehashed because the hash is based on the address in memory and
this can potentially change with each GC.

Can I control this process somehow ? Perhaps by controlling how the
hashtable grows ? I figure that unless every Lisp object stores its own
hash, there isn't a lot that can be done. Maybe I can make another
datastructure for this purpose ?

Sven