[Openmcl-devel] BBEdit as IDE?

Brian Mastenbrook bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Apr 5 10:08:01 PDT 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 11:58 AM, Stonewall Ballard wrote:

> Has anyone tried using BBEdit as an IDE (at least, a live editor) for
> OpenMCL? I'm tempted to write a plugin or extension for it that would
> make BBEdit usable, but if someone else has done that, I'll be happy
> to use that. The Shell Worksheet seems promising.
>
> I guess the only alternative is emacs, but I've been away from it too
> long to be comfortable returning.
>
>   - Stoney

Before you consider using BBEdit, you should really try Carbon Emacs
and SLIME. To build Carbon Emacs (DON'T ever use binaries), follow the
instructions at
http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/stories/obtaining-and-
building.html . If the GNU head offends you, replace the Emacs.icns in
the bundle with http://www.iddqd.org/~chandler/pictures/Emacs.icns .
Then get SLIME ( http://www.cliki.net/SLIME ) and install it. It may
take a little bit to get used to, but it has many amenities as an
environment and would be hard to match in BBEdit! Note that Emacs also
has commands for editing S-Expressions such as Control-Meta-K.

You can view my .emacs at
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~bmastenb/dotfiles/emacs . In particular I
like the color scheme and choice of font for coding. The font is
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono and can be downloaded from
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ .
--
Brian Mastenbrook
bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu