[Openmcl-devel] Segmentation fault on linuxppc

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Aug 17 11:23:41 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Jan Idzikowski wrote:

> i have use all the breakpoints in gdb, but it segfaulted bevor any of this
> breakpoints obtained
>
> but i found that not the kernel 2.6.7 is the problem,
> the problem is the libc 2.3.3
>
> with libc version 2.3.2 works openmcl also with kernel 2.6.7
>
> my libc version: /lib/libc.so.6
> "GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.3, by Roland McGrath et al."
>
> do you ever used openmcl with libc 2.3.3

I haven't (at least not on the system that I have Gentoo installed on.)

> in the changelog of the libc 2.3.3 version i found:
> "* ELF thread-local storage support (TLS) now works on PowerPC and PowerPC64;"
>
> is this a problem?

I think that in some distributions the threads library has been
using TLS for a year or more.  It complicates some things (a
previously unimportant register has to be saved and restored
on foreign function calls and callbacks), but the lisp runtime
has handled that for a while.

The lisp kernel wants to load at a fixed (and non-standard) address
range in low memory.  I wonder if the 2.3.3 dynamic linker might
already have that address range mapped (and mapping the lisp kernel
into memory might clobber the dynamic linker.)

I'll try to install libc 2.3.3 and see if I can tell what the problem
is.