[Openmcl-devel] another make-record question

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at mail.allcaps.org
Fri Aug 20 12:57:20 PDT 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 11:10 AM, mikel evins wrote:

> However, I'm certainly going to want to build other applications that
> are not meant to be development systems and ideally should not tack 7
> MB of interface databases onto the application bundle in order to be
> able to run. So I'm interested in finding a method of statically
> resolving the interfaces that the application actually uses and
> building the result of that resolution into the app.

Why not trim back the .ffi file which generates the .cdb file to only
those functions and variables which you use and need?

Code walkers which grovel through Lisp code and can tell you which
functions are called by other functions are fairly common.

The bigger issue is that all the foreign interface stuff we do is just
a patch/hack around the real problem--dynamic libraries need to
actually carry the information that we currently only get via .h
include files.  If you could query the dynamic library directly for its
variables, constants, functions and function signatures, all this
stupid hackery goes away.

Anybody up for changing ld and dylib? <said only half-jokingly>

-a