[Openmcl-devel] thread overview

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Aug 22 20:40:28 PDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Dan Knapp wrote:

>    I've added a summary of this discussion to the docs, as Section 3.6,
> "The Threads which OpenMCL Uses for Its Own Purposes".  (Couldn't come
> up with a better name...)

Thanks.

>    A noticeable gap in coverage is that the docs don't have anything
> about
> running Hemlock, although since it's still experimental it might make
> sense to wait until it's more stable.  Looking at the portable-hemlock
> site, I see that the only existing documentation is legacy, in a
> troff-based
> format that nobody can read...

I think that it's probably premature to talk about actually -using- the
Cocoa-based Hemlock; for several weeks in the spring, I thought that it
was a few weeks away from usability, but I haven't worked on it much in
the last few months.

When it does start to approach general usability, documentation would
help.  The old CMU Hemlock docs were written for a document processing
system called Scribe (the .mss extension used by Scribe is similar to
that used in some troff packages, but Scribe was a very different animal.)

Both the Hemlock Users Manual and the Hemlock Command Implementer's
Manual would probably be useful starting points.  I don't know that
anyone's ever succeeded in automatically translating from Scribe
source to some other, more widely-used format; I think that Gilbert
Baumann was considering doing this at one point, but I don't know how
far he got.  One could probably get fairly far with some guesswork and
some carefully-crafted Emacs macros.