[Openmcl-devel] thread overview

alex crain alexcrain at mail2.widgetworks.com
Mon Aug 23 08:05:36 PDT 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, at 10:26 PM, Dan Knapp wrote:

>   I've added a summary of this discussion to the docs, as Section 3.6,
> "The Threads which OpenMCL Uses for Its Own Purposes".  (Couldn't come
> up with a better name...)
>
>   A noticeable gap in coverage is that the docs don't have anything
> about
> running Hemlock, although since it's still experimental it might make
> sense to wait until it's more stable.  Looking at the portable-hemlock
> site, I see that the only existing documentation is legacy, in a
> troff-based
> format that nobody can read...

I looked into converting scribe to texinfo using some emacs code that I
found and in the process located a postscript version of both the user
and cim manuals.

http://www.cons.org/cmucl/hemlock/index.html

Eventually I would like to put much of the documentation into the
editor itself, which means either converting the scribe to something
else or finding either .info or .html versions of the manuals. I
haven't had much luck with any of this (I think that eventually doing
it by hand will be faster then writing a converter)

With all due respect to Gary, Hemlock is probably more then a few weeks
away from being ready for prime time - getting it up and running isn't
so bad but nobody wants to use an editor that crashes even occasionally
and it's going to be a little longer before the code is truly stable.

Once we get it stable, however, it's going to kick ass.

:alex