[Openmcl-devel] Re: cvs build problem

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Dec 6 12:31:45 PST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Rick Taube wrote:

> Im trying to build bleeding-edge openmcl from scratch from the cvs
> sources and of course im bleeding...after making the kernel and booting
> using the an existing dppccl.image openmcl image, (cload-level-0) works
> fine and I do get  a new ppc-boot.image. however when i continue trying
> to compile the sources i get an error about dfsl versions out of date
> that Im not sure what to do about:
>
> pinhead:/Lisp/ccl hkt$ ./dppccl
> Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.1-p1!
> ? (xload-level-0)
> [...]
>   cold-load function:
>   cold-load function:
>   cold-load function:
> NIL
> ? (compile-ccl)
> ;Compiling "/Lisp/ccl/compiler/nxenv.lisp"...
> [...]
> ;Compiling "/Lisp/ccl/lib/eval.lisp"...
>  > Error in process listener(1): Wrong PFSL version.
>  > While executing: %FASLOAD
>  > Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
> 1 >

You sometimes (as is currently the case) need to use a more recent image
to compile bleeding-edge sources.  (Hey! This is documented, see section
2.1.4.2 of:

<http://openmcl.clozure.com/Doc/ch02s01.html#arb43>

)

I think that the most recent "testing" image will compile the bleeding-
edge sources with fewer warnings than the release (0.14.2-p1).  The
FASL version change happened between 0.14.1 and 0.14.2; trying to compile
post-0.14.2 sources with an 0.14.1-p1 image will lead to lots of confusion
about what FASL version is current (as you saw.)