[Openmcl-devel] Ways around the with-simple-restart bug?

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Tue Dec 7 16:56:17 PST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 4:23 PM, Dan Knapp wrote:

>   All that said, though, if you have experience with docbook or are
> willing to
> learn, I definitely need to improve the speed of the build process.
> This
> mostly consists of turning on profiling in the (documentation)
> makefile and
> figuring out which standard stylesheets and DTDs it's pulling from the
> network because it doesn't have them locally, and how I can make it
> find
> the local copies.

Make a file called "catalog" which contains something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<catalog  xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog">
   <group  prefer="public"  xml:base="file:///sw/share/xml" >

     <public
        publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
        uri="/dtd/docbookx/4.2.0/docbookx.dtd"/>

     <system
        systemId="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"
        uri="file:///sw/share/xml/dtd/docbookx/4.2.0/docbookx.dtd"/>

     <system
        systemId="docbook4.2.dtd"
        uri="file:///sw/share/xml/dtd/docbookx/4.2.0/docbookx.dtd"/>

	<uri

name="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/
chunk.xsl"
	   uri="file:///sw/share/xml/xsl/docbook-xsl/html/chunk.xsl" />

   </group>
</catalog>

Wherever your XSLs refer to a stylesheet or DTD by URI, create a URI
entry that points to the local file on your system.

Define an environment variable named "XML_CATALOG_FILES" show value is
the pathname of the catalog file.

If you create definitions for all the referenced DTDs and stylesheets,
the build should be dramatically faster (I maintain the DocBook system
at my employer, and our docs build in less than 10 secoonds when the
catalog is correct, versus several minutes when it isn't.)

--me