[Openmcl-devel] [Newbie] Problems using release 0.14-031220 with Slime

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Feb 6 05:53:48 PST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Christian Hofer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have problems getting OpenMCL to run with Slime on Panther.
> When I try to start Slime-Mode in Emacs, the error attached below
> occurs.
>
> I posted this problem to comp.lang.lisp and got the following reply:
>
>  >Looks like the cdb files (interface definitions for foreign functions)
>  >are missing.  You can get them here:
>  >http://openmcl.clozure.com/Distributions/openmcl-release-0.14
> -031220.html

More specifically, see:

<http://openmcl.clozure.com/Distributions/openmcl-release-0.14-031220.html#Interface_database_issue>

Two things that could perhaps be clearer there:

a) the Darwin interfaces ("jaguar-interfaces.tar.gz") work fine with
Panther
b) having these interfaces installed is necessary not only to build
the lisp from sources but to compile any code which references foreign
functions/constants/data types.

> I could not figure out, how to get them. I thought they should be
> included in the binary release?!

The rationale for not doing so has always been that the interfaces
don't change that often (whether they should change more often is
another question; there may, for instance, be Panther-specific stuff
that'd be of interest to people using Panther).  In general, the
same set of interface files should work with several different lisp
releases, and people (especially people with limited bandwidth)
would only have to download those interfaces once.

> (I know, being relatively new to Lisp and having never understood to
> handle the Unix  command line, I maybe should not use an alpha-release.
> But I thought, I should use it anyway, because 0.13 is older than
> Panther.)

0.13 also requires that the interfaces be installed.