[Openmcl-devel] "Binary" distributions

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Mon Feb 16 09:01:33 PST 2004

[...snip suggestions about making OpenMCL packaging easier to
understand...]

On Feb 16, 2004, at 3:01 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> The fact that as many people have had similar difficulty with this for
> as long as they have suggests that explaining things over and over
> again on the web site isn't the right solution.  I'll try to package
> the next release (or next patch release) as a self-contained archive.

Also, the message that used to archived at

   http://www.clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2003-August/000655.html

had a nice step-by-step guide to bootstrapping the lisp. It added a
couple of small but crucial details to the bootstrapping process that
made it easier to figure out. The instructions in the docs directory
are good if you've done it before, but maybe not if you haven't. For
example, you may not realize that you should cd into
ccl/lisp-kernel/darwin before making the darwin kernel, and you may not
realize at first the exact sequence of steps to follow  in
xload-level-0; compile-ccl; exit the lisp; start the kernel with the
boot image; save-application.

--me