[Openmcl-devel] What is the status of OpenMCL Altivec support

Randall Beer beer at eecs.cwru.edu
Sat Feb 21 06:31:53 PST 2004

If enough people want to make use of AltiVec in OpenMCL, then I might
suggest thinking about writing a mini-compiler for it.  I did this with
PPC-FPC, a compiler that translates a subset of Lisp involving
arithmetic operations  into equivalent LAP
(http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~beer). An intermediate option is to make use
of DEFPPCLAPMACRO to provide higher-level virtual instructions for
working with AltiVec in LAP. Although these approaches may take a bit
more work initially, they pay off handsomely in the long run.

Randy Beer