[Openmcl-devel] Re: Another pathname question

Gary King gwking at cs.umass.edu
Fri Feb 27 05:36:50 PST 2004

Whoopt, my bad about (load-pathname). It's a function I should have
included:

(defun load-pathname ()
     "Returns a pathname that is useful for merging with filenames to
get a
complete pathname for a file in the same directory as the one currently
being
loaded.  This function is a more portable version of the Common Lisp
variable
*load-truename*, since not all vendors implemented that correctly."
     (let ((pn   #+allegro (translate-logical-pathname (truename
excl:*source-pathname*))
                 #+MCL (if *load-truename*
                         (translate-logical-pathname *load-truename*)
                         ;; This makes it work in a fred buffer...
                         (translate-logical-pathname
                 #+Lispworks (translate-logical-pathname *load-truename*)
                 #-(or allegro MCL Lispworks)
                 (translate-logical-pathname *load-truename*)))
       (assert (pathnamep pn) (pn)
               "load-pathname* did not return a pathname, it returned ~s;
this might be because it executed in a context where you're not loading
a file
or because the file is in the current working directory.  In any event,
this
will break the code in generic-load-utils, because it works with the
components
of pathnames." pn)
       ;; Deal with the lispworks using an empty pathname for
*default-pathname-defaults*
       ;; if you are loading from the current working directory.
       (values
        #-lispworks pn
        #+lispworks
        (if (null (pathname-directory pn))
          (merge-pathnames pn (current-pathname)) pn))))

As for your fix, it works for me under MCL but not under OpenMCL or
LispWorks, same problem as before.

--
Gary Warren King, Lab Manager
EKSL East, University of Massachusetts * 413 577 0176

I am shocked at how little my colleagues in genetics pay attention to
history. They actually forget how ignorant we are—that although we have
achieved incredible manipulative powers, we know next to nothing about
the real world in which those manipulations will reverberate.
   -- David Suzuki (http://www.davidsuzuki.org/)