[Openmcl-devel] very newbie question: emacs and OpenMCL

Robert Sayre mint at franklinmint.fm
Sun Jan 11 11:23:01 PST 2004

On 1/11/04 12:36 PM, "Gary King" <gwking at cs.umass.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to get EMACS set up to work with OpenMCL and I'm not having
> much luck. Part of the trouble is that my UNIX skills are mostly from
> 14-years ago and my EMACS skills are mostly non-existent! I have an OS
> X port of version 21.3.50 of EMACS running and OpenMCL 0.13 from a few
> weeks ago. I've tried both SLIME and ILISP and haven't had success with
> either. My guess is that I've put things in the wrong places through
> lack of knowledge of what the canonical places are. If someone could
> tell me where things are "supposed" to be installed in UNIX land on OS
> X (and perhaps where they have things installed), I'd really appreciate
> it!

For ILISP, there's a (rather extensive) sample .emacs file by Bill
Clementson here:
http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/.emacs

It expects to find OpenMCL in ~/bin/ccl
You can specify the location of ILISP below the comment
";; Set up load path."

There's also been a few shorter .emacs files posted here. For instance:
http://www.clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2002-November/000777.html

IIRC, SLIME only works with OpenMCL 0.14.