[Openmcl-devel] How to get slime working with OpenMCL

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Sun Jan 11 11:31:10 PST 2004

Sorry if this is a duplicate - I may have screwed up in Mail.app.

On Jan 11, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Gary King wrote:

> I'm trying to get EMACS set up to work with OpenMCL and I'm not having
> much luck. Part of the trouble is that my UNIX skills are mostly from
> 14-years ago and my EMACS skills are mostly non-existent! I have an OS
> X port of version 21.3.50 of EMACS running and OpenMCL 0.13 from a few
> weeks ago. I've tried both SLIME and ILISP and haven't had success
> with either. My guess is that I've put things in the wrong places
> through lack of knowledge of what the canonical places are. If someone
> could tell me where things are "supposed" to be installed in UNIX land
> on OS X (and perhaps where they have things installed), I'd really
> appreciate it!

Here's how to get slime working with OpenMCL. I assume you have openmcl
working so that merely typing openmcl in the terminal will run
ccl/scripts/openmcl. If not, add the appropriate setenv (tcsh) or
export (bash) so that your path includes ccl/scripts.

1. Download slime, and note it's location in your file system hierarchy.
2. Create a .emacs file in your home directory that reads as follows
(obviously replace the paths with those on your system) or add the
following to your existing .emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/directory/of/slime")
		;; replace this ^ path with real path to slime folder
     (require 'slime)
     (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
     (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode
t)))
     (setq inferior-lisp-program  "/path/to/ccl/scripts/openmcl")
		;; replace this ^ path with real path to ccl/scripts/openmcl
     (setq font-lock-mode t)
     (setq common-lisp-hyperspec-root
"file:///path/to/your/HyperSpec-6-0/HyperSpec/")
			;; replace this ^ path with real path to your local Hyperspec folder

3. In Terminal.app, type:
emacs
4. In emacs type:
M-x slime (i.e., meta-x slime )
5. If you want to be able to use the option key as the meta key in
emacs (instead of the escape key - yuck!) go to Terminal:Window
Settings and select the Keyboard pop-up, then check the box that reads:
Use option key as meta key. If you want this to be the default for all
Terminal windows, then click the button Use Setting as Defaults.

I assume you know how to use emacs' multiple windows, switching buffers
etc. If you haven't used slime before, be aware that the *slime-repl*
buffer is not the same as your *inferior-lisp* buffer.

Some really basic starter help for slime:
M-x slime  - start slime
M-x font-lock-mode  - toggle font lock mode
C-h m   - show help for slime mode
C-x C-f  - open a file
C-c C-k - compile and load the current buffer
C-x C-b - list all buffers
C-x b - switch to named buffer
Tab - completion
C-c C-h - look up symbol at point in Hyperspec

Happy hacking,

Raf

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffaelcavallaro at mac.com