[Openmcl-devel] First draft!

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Tue Jul 6 19:33:11 PDT 2004

   Ah, it's great to have the CVS working....  I was going to say, but
then
I tried to check in my changes regarding Hamilton's suggestions
yesterday, and it gave me a connection failure.  Have parameters
changed?  I was trying to check in from a copy of the new tree, which
I had checked out earlier in the day.  Now I can't connect at all...

> The Makefile currently tries to rebuild everything (whether it's out of
> date or not), and that takes a few minutes; by about 10 minutes past
> the
> hour, the .html files on the server (and the .tbz archive) should
> reflect
> the .xml source that's in CVS.

   It's supposed to be able to tell the difference between new and old
files.
At some point, we should try to figure out why it's not doing that for
you.
Bear in mind that the makefile and everything in xsl/ are treated as
prerequisites, so if they've been changed everything will be rebuilt.

   I checked the new makefile, and it does indeed still work on Darwin
with
fink.  Nice job on adding the automatic detection of the host OS.  It
also
correctly detects files which don't need rebuilding.

   I looked at the diff between my version of the makefile and yours, and
didn't see anything which should have changed that.  One thing, though:

84,85c96,97
<       -rm /tmp/openmcl-docs
<       -rm $(@F)
---
 >       -rm -rf /tmp/openmcl-docs
 >       -rm -f $(@F)

   Since /tmp/openmcl-docs is a symlink (it's just used so that the paths
stored in the tarfile will be convenient to extract), the -r is
unnecessary,
although harmless.  The -f is a good idea though; those leading minus
signs mean "ignore failure", which I don't like because it's obscure,
so the -f means they can be taken out.

-- Dan Knapp