[Openmcl-devel] Am I tracking the right CVS sources?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jul 19 02:41:46 PDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, David Steuber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not exactly a CVS guru.  I haven't seen any changes in CVS in a
> little while and I'm wondering if I am using the wrong CVS repository.

Nope; I've been knee-deep in other work for the last few months.  I've
tried to commit bug fixes to the CVS tree and will try to at least package
the last few months of fixes into a 0.14.2-p2 release.  (I'll also try
to get out from under that other work and back to more OpenMCL stuff soon,
but there always seems to be more of that other work than I think there'll
be ...)

> Would anyone be able to tell me based on cvs log output?  And if I am
> tracking the wrong CVS version, how do I get CVS to point to the
> correct version?

One clue is the "RCS file" line in the log output:

> Here is a snippet from cvs log:

> =====
>
> RCS file: /usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14/ccl/xdump/xfasload.lisp,v

The "main" 0.14 repository (not exactly temporary for the last 8 months
or so ...) is "/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14".  That should correspond to
"the most recent binaries + bug fixes".

The other CVS tree of (some) interest is rooted at
"/usr/local/tmpcvs/ccl-0.14-dev".  It usually tends to be more volatile;
sometimes, the changes in the "ccl-0.14-dev" (aka "bleeding edge") tree
are significant enough that bootstrapping OpenMCL from these sources and
the most recent binaries is tricky.  (At the moment, I don't think that
that's the case.)