[Openmcl-devel] Questions about #? to access variables

Anders Conradi beque at telia.com
Sun Jun 13 16:47:44 PDT 2004

On måndag, jun 14, 2004, at 01:06 Europe/Stockholm, Gary Byers wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Anders Conradi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have some questions about the #? reader macro to access foreign
>> variables.
>>
>> I have a file containing the following:
>> --------8<--------
>> (require :cocoa)
>> (defvar ha #?NSToolbarSeparatorItemIdentifier)
>> --------8<--------
>>
>> If I try to compile that file with compile-file I get the following
>> error:
>>
>> ? (compile-file "testar.lisp")
>>> Error in process listener(1): Can't dump #<A Mac Pointer #xA30725D4>
>> - unknown type
>>> While executing: CCL::FASL-UNKNOWN
>>> Type :POP to abort.
>> Type :? for other options.
>>
>> Why? What should I do to get it to work?
>>

> Hmm.   You clearly weren't running a patched version of
> "ccl:lib;nfcomp.lisp",
> which knows how to dump foreign variables ...

I didn't know about that version. Now that I do I will use it. Thanks!

> As a reminder: it's often really helpful to let people know what OS
> and lisp versions you're running when reporting things like this.  It's
> often hard to know beforehand whether that information's relevant, but
> it's usually better to assume that it might be and include it than it
> is to omit it.

Sorry. I forgot about that. I run Mac OS X 10.2.8 build 6R73 and
openmcl 0.14.2-p1 (soon to be patched).

I guess I don't really need openmcl to recognize the variable in this
case, since I only pass it on to cocoa to setup my toolbars.

Anyway, thanks a lot for everything!

// Anders