[Openmcl-devel] readline editing

Brian Mastenbrook bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Jun 14 11:59:54 PDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Calvin wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Lisp.  Most of my development experience is Python and on
> IBM midrange machines.  I finished hackers and painters by Graham and
> picked up his ANSI common lisp.
>
> I have a newbie question.  How can I get command line editing with
> readline when using lisp interactively?  I've searched the web, the
> archives, and the documentation, to no avail.
>
> using arrow keys to recall previous lines of code makes learning a
> language much easier.

Use SLIME with Emacs, which gives you a REPL with all that fancy editing
stuff:

http://www.cliki.net/SLIME

There's a tutorial for getting started there. You really really want to be
using SLIME anyway, as it makes editing and debugging much nicer.

--
Brian Mastenbrook
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~bmastenb/
bmastenb at cs.indiana.edu