[Openmcl-devel] Unicode in OpenMCL

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at mail.allcaps.org
Wed Jun 23 15:53:56 PDT 2004

On Jun 23, 2004, at 2:13 PM, Steve Jenson wrote:

>> I think Unicode Normalization Forms deals adequately with the
>> canonicalization problem: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/
>>
>> Do you remember the problems that Collation introduced?

That standard is listed as for Unicode 4.0.0.  A quick look at the
appendix shows that there are different conversions applicable for
different versions of Unicode.  Not a huge problem, but not
straightforward either.

Ah!  I remember the collation issue now--hash keys.  Using a Unicode
string as a hash key hit all of the strange issues with collation and
canonicalization.  To get around the collation problem requires an
extra indirection into a collation table.

There is also the question of text direction if Unicode is going to be
fully integrated into the language.

While languages like Python support Unicode strings, the programs
themselves are not Unicode.  This is a much more difficult problem in
Lisp where the line between data and program is far more ambiguous.

-a