[Openmcl-devel] Unicode in OpenMCL

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jun 24 02:16:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Takehiko Abe wrote:

> Gary Byers wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > We obviously need to be able to do I/O to and from other encodings
> > (and to be able to use various encodings with the FFI), and it's
> > fairly clear that we'd want to have lisp objects of type
> > UTF-8-ENCODED-STRING (etc.)
>
> The need for UTF-8-ENCODED-STRING is not clear to me.
> Is it for FFI?

I'm not sure if "encoded strings" really need to be supported.  You
don't necessarily need to expose any objects that might be used to
convert between a lisp string and some external representation (for
the FFI or the filesystem), but there might be some argument for doing
so (e.g., caching the result of an expensive translation for
efficiency.)

There might be other reasons ...