[Openmcl-devel] Unicode in OpenMCL

Duncan Rose duncan at robotcat.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 12:31:07 PDT 2004

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 07:50 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Lawrence E. Bakst wrote:
>
>> At 2:00 PM -0600 6/23/04, Gary Byers wrote:
>>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Steve Jenson wrote:

--->8--- snip --->8---

>> I've spent some time thinking about this recently in the more general
>> sense for a project I want to do.
>>
>> 24 bits is the right size if you have only one type of char.

--->8--- snip --->8---

>>> A BASE-STRING would then be a vector of 24-bit immediate objects (in
>>> practice, this would almost certainly mean "a vector of 32-bit
>>> immediate objects with 8-11 unused bits."), and that lisp strings
>>> would
>>> be effectively UTF-32 encoded (if I'm using the correct term.)

If this is on the cards, why not move straight to 2-octet ISO 10646
(UCS-4)?
At least this is a "natural" size (for want of a better term) being 32
bits
already...

Unfortunately (from my personal POV) I'm too much of a Lisp newbie to
comment
on any of the technical discussion going on....

-Duncan

--- >8--- rest snipped for brevity --->8---