[Openmcl-devel] Unicode in OpenMCL

Steve Jenson stevej at pobox.com
Fri Jun 25 19:19:01 PDT 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Duncan Rose wrote:

> If this is on the cards, why not move straight to 2-octet ISO 10646
> (UCS-4)?
> At least this is a "natural" size (for want of a better term) being 32
> bits
> already...

I agree that UCS-4 is probably best. It's important to note that
openmcl can currently print and store UTF-8 without harming it. I
tested it with some vicious Plane 1 characters:

testing-utf8.lisp:
(defvar *utf8* "𐌸𐌹𐌶𐌰𐌹: 𐍅𐌿𐌻𐍆𐌹𐌻𐌰")
(format t "~A" *utf8*)

$ openmcl -l testing-utf8.lisp
; /Users/stevej/.openmcl/asdf-install/asdf-install.asd into #<Package
"ASDF0">
; registering #<SYSTEM ASDF-INSTALL #x63BD006> as ASDF-INSTALL
𐌸𐌹𐌶𐌰𐌹: 𐍅𐌿𐌻𐍆𐌹𐌻𐌰
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.2-p1!
?

Awesome!
Steve

If those characters look like blocks to you, then you should get the
Code2001 font: http://home.att.net/~jameskass/code2001.htm