[Openmcl-devel] loading asdf at startup?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Mar 8 16:01:04 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Cyrus Harmon wrote:

> On another note, is there a way to get openmcl to work in a case
> sensitive mode?

PROVIDE and REQUIRE have to be case-sensitive (use STRING= to compare
module names) per CLHS.  It's a little strange that so much of the
rest of PROVIDE/REQUIRE's behavior is described as being
implementation-dependent and this (the use of STRING=) is spelled out,
but ...

Until 0.14.1, PROVIDE and REQUIRE were using STRING-EQUAL and I don't
think that anyone (except maybe a test suite) complained; at least a
couple of people have complained about the "correct" behavior since it
was changed.

Even if it doesn't seem incredibly useful to maintain case-
sensitivity here, I'm not sure that it'd be a good idee to change it
back; there's something to be said for trying to adhere to the
standard for the sake of doing so.  They were written at different
times, but compare the nature and amount of conditionalization in
something like DEFSYSTEM (which had to account for the idiosyncrasies
of a dozen or so implementations) and ASDF (which can more-or-less
safely assume that implementations are mostly and for the most part
trying to be ANSI-compliant.)