[Openmcl-devel] representing infinity

Gary King gwking at cs.umass.edu
Fri Mar 19 14:19:55 PST 2004

Is there a way in OpenMCL to represent IEEE positive and negative
infinity? An apropos on NAN gives me (among other things):

  CCL::IEEE-DOUBLE-FLOAT-SIGNALLING-NAN-BIT,  Value: 51
  CCL::IEEE-SINGLE-FLOAT-SIGNALLING-NAN-BIT,  Value: 22
  CCL::NAN-OR-INFINITY-P, Def: FUNCTION
  CCL::NANNING
  CCL::PRINT-A-NAN, Def: FUNCTION

and one on "INFINITY" gives:

CCL::INFINITY-P, Def: FUNCTION

This is promising but even after looking at the source code it's not
clear to me how to produce something such that (infinity-p <something>)
returns t.

Thanks,
--
Gary Warren King, Lab Manager
EKSL East, University of Massachusetts * 413 577 0176

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By the sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.
   -- T.S. Eliot, The love song of J. Alfred Prufrock