[Openmcl-devel] Using OpenMCL as a shell scripting interpreter

Stonewall Ballard sb.list at sb.org
Sun Mar 28 14:53:26 PST 2004

I haven't had much time to work on this, so I'd appreciate any help I
can get.

Aside from replicating some of my Python utility scripts in Lisp to see
whether I feel comfortable with using it that way, my other problem is
how to coerce openmcl to run from a simple text file. I'm not going to
make a megabyte image for every script - I need to keep them as text
until they're run, just like other shell languages.

I've tried invoking openmcl with a #! first line in a file, and while
openmcl apparently runs, it doesn't go anywhere. I would have thought
that:

#!/usr/local/bin/openmcl -V

would print the version number, but I can't find the output anywhere.
This works with Python, so I assume that I just need to spend time
understanding how openmcl starts up. The code that handles the -V
argument just does this (in process-application-arguments):

(progn
   (format t "~&~a~&" (application-version-string a))
   (force-output t)
   (#_exit 0))

If I can't get this to show up on the terminal, it's going to be rather
hard to debug.

Any ideas?

The next task is to get openmcl to load stdin.

  - Stoney