[Openmcl-devel] Using OpenMCL as a shell scripting interpreter

Stonewall Ballard sb.list at sb.org
Tue Mar 30 19:55:05 PST 2004

I had some time to work on this, and now have it running. It appears
that shell scripts can't invoke others via #!, so I wrote a little C++
program that launches dppccl with the right args. It should be more
parametric, but it's fine for my purposes.

I also wrote a dispatch-char-reader that handled #! by ignoring the
rest of the line, and added it to my openmcl image.

openmcl loads the original script file, and any output to stdout shows
up on the terminal!

There's probably some benefit to having a separate image for this
purpose, without a REPL. Meanwhile, I'm just ending script files with
(finish-output)
(quit)

My next task is to figure out how to pass command-line arguments into
the script. openmcl itself seems rather unhappy with extra arguments. I
guess I need to add a switch that takes the rest of the args and binds
them to *argv* or somesuch.

Gary, is that likely to be difficult, or interfere with anything else?

I'll be happy to send a copy of openmcltool to anyone on request.

  - Stoney