[Openmcl-devel] Re: [Bug-openmcl] NSViewHierarchyLock Assertion failure

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Thu May 13 12:35:31 PDT 2004

On May 12, 2004, at 10:00 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> Checking isVisible isn't 100% reliable: the fact that the window
> was visible when you checked is no guarantee that it'll continue
> to be visible a few cycles later (the user may have clicked the
> close box in the interim.)

Yes, that's clear. I've added a windowWillClose method. If that could
be used to reliably kill a thread that the drawing is taking place in,
that might work, but I haven't figured out how to do that. I tried
process-run-function to start the animation, and process-kill called
inside the window-will-close method, but that doesn't stop the crash.

As it is now, I just use window-will-close to set a flag named
*window-open* which gets checked before each redraw, and at the top of
the animation loop.

> It seems to indicate that ANIMATE is trying to draw to a window
> that doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, that's what I suspected.

> I'd be interested; I don't think that the ways that I'd want to change
> it would obfuscate things too much ...

Any changes would be welcome. You obviously understand both the OpenMCL
and Cocoa runtimes *way* better than I do.

Here's tiny-loop.lisp: