[Openmcl-devel] string handling question

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Tue Nov 9 15:40:32 PST 2004

> Hmmm, is there an insert or redraw method you could override to
> "smarten up the text object"?
>
> Limitations in the high-level text object are real, but there often
> are ways around them.  Apple does use these objects inside XCode,
> right?

   Here's my suggestions, which are made mostly in ignorance, since I
haven't
tried to do anything like this with Cocoa.

   Surely, no matter how optimized the basic string operations are, it's
never
going to solve the problem:  Get it efficient enough for a 1M file, and
there's
2M files... and so on.  There has to be an algorithmic solution.

   It looks as though the setNeedsDisplayInRect:avoidAdditionalLayout:
method
of NSTextView is highly relevant, isn't it?

   Also, it's probably NSLayoutManager that's making the unnecessary
calls;
so, if some subclassing needs to be done, that's probably what needs to
be
subclassed.

   Hope this helps a bit.

-- Dan Knapp