[Openmcl-devel] ObjC/Cocoa bridge docs revised

Randall Beer beer at eecs.cwru.edu
Fri Nov 12 17:51:24 PST 2004

Dan,

Nice job integrating all of the bridge-related info! Thanks for all of
your work on this.

I just had a few small comments

In Section 10.3.1, the bridge will currently also convert Lisp strings
passed as arguments to a message send into NSStrings, so that (SEND W
:SET-TITLE "Untitled") works.  It will also convert numbers passed as
arguments to a message SEND to SINGLE-FLOAT where necessary and
possible, so that (SEND W :SET-ALPHA-VALUE 1) will work.

In 10.3.2, (SEND V1 :SET-BOUNDS (SEND V2 'BOUNDS)) should probably be
(SEND V2 :SET-BOUNDS (SEND V1 'BOUNDS)) to be consistent with the
previous example using SLET.

In 10.6, LISP-TO-OBJC-MESSAGE should take a KEYWORD-LIST not a STRING

In 10.6, probably no need to mention (MAKE-OBJC-INSTANCE "XXX" . . .),
since you can always use (MAKE-INSTANCE (@CLASS "XXX") . . .)

In 10.6, the statement that the "INIT" prefix is optional in
initializer keywords works for MAKE-INSTANCE as well.  Since I am
suggesting removing any mention of MAKE-OBJC-INSTANCE above, I would
recommend that the examples here be changed to use MAKE-INSTANCE.

Note to self: The use of (@METACLASS XXX) to declare that the type of
something is a metaclass of class XXX should be replaced by the new
NS:+XXX syntax someday (this will require a change to
GET-OBJC-CLASS-FROM-DECLARATION in BRIDGE.LISP).

Randy