[Openmcl-devel] sharing data between fortran and OpenMCL

Cyrus Harmon cyrus at cyrusharmon.org
Fri Oct 1 21:19:34 PDT 2004

Sure, but in comparison with C memory management, the garbage
collection really means two things, one obvious, one less so. The first
is that memory just appears and disappears when you need it and no
longer need it. That's really nice. The second is that objects in
memory can move around on you to make the whole system work better.
That's also nice, but poses some issues when dealing with non-lisp
components, be they system resources, other code libraries, etc...

Getting even further off-topic, one of the things that bothers me about
lisp is the notion that the lisp way is the right way and everything
else doesn't matter. One of the things that I _really_ like about
OpenMCL is the interface database and the relative ease with which one
can interface with foreign code. It's a fact of life that we live in a
heterogeneous world. Back to my particular corner of the world. There's
some really nice fortran code for dealing with big matrices out there.
I don't want to (and probably can't) rewrite this stuff in lisp. On the
other hand, I don't want to write my systems code, web server, db
access, etc... in fortran. I want to use lisp. OpenMCL seems to be
pretty useful here and I'm just trying to sort out all of the details
in how one would use this stuff in a heterogeneous environment. In
SBCL, and, I think, ACL, there are some tricks one can do to make it so
one can avoid round-trip copies of the data as you move between lisp
and the fortran code. It would be nice if I could do the same thing in
OpenMCL and I think I can, I'm just trying to sort through all of the
issues and trying to figure out the best way to proceed here.

Also, you shouldn't be so dismissive of a trumped-up portable assembly
language. There's lots of really nice trumped-up (not-so) portable
assembly language at the core of OpenMCL I'm discovering. One of the
interesting things (to me) about lisp is that you can basically write
lispy lisp, c-like lisp, or even assembly language in the same overall
framework. This is pretty helpful if you need to interact with the
c-world or the assembly-world, I think.

Cyrus