[Openmcl-devel] hemlock and tags files

alex crain alexcrain at mail2.widgetworks.com
Thu Oct 7 09:12:32 PDT 2004

I'm getting ready to work on the source tagging features in hemlock. My
immediate goals are to
be able to click on a function and get either source code or
documentation for the function.

Documentation is moving along nicely and now I'm thinking about source
code indexing.

I want to model tagging after the emacs implementation, with the one
added feature that I want
to be able to do find-tag on some text and have hemlock produce
pointers to all the source
that defines that tag, maybe using a drawer or something to show the
options. I get annoyed when
I do find-tag and get referred to a piece of commented out code.

Anyway, is there a way that I could implement this that would really
piss people off?
If so I'll avoid that one :-)

More importantly, I'm fishing for ideas on the best way to do it. I'd
like to utilized multiple
tags tables, maybe on a per package basis, both to keep the namespace
clean and
to avoid regenerating tables for source that is largely static, like
the OpenMCL core.

Anybody have any ideas one the best way to keep track of the files? One
way might
be to put a link to a table as meta-data in the source file and have
the table updated
whenever the file is saved. You could then have some concept of a
project manager
that would maintain preferences for groups of files and their
associated indexes.

:alex